Thursday, February 19, 2009

Valentine's Day

Valentine’s Day. The one day you can successfully guilt trip your man into buying you flowers or diamonds or chocolates, taking you out to a ridiculously overpriced dinner, or some other such romantic nonsense.

Do I personally think it’s nonsense? Do I personally take advantage of such an cheesy over-commercialized day? Absolutely! To both questions.

But how ELSE would I get my completely non-romantic, absolutely cheese-free, incredibly frugal, jeans and t-shirt wearing man, to dress up, take me out, spend lots of money on me, AND buy me presents. I tell you, it has to be done. The guilting of Valentine’s Day is here to stay.

But it’s all right, he gets some good loving out of it. And a gift or two of his own that he never would have bought for himself. Never would have needed if he’d been single. Cologne, silk boxers with hearts on them, yet another tie, a watch that never gets worn because it’s “too nice,” a pair of sheets. Really, more or less, his gift is also for me. What better holiday could Americans possibly come up with? The man’s gift is SUPPOSED to be for the woman too? America, I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment